Saturday 16 January 2016

Settling into the New Year, and My Wardrobe 2016

Hey everyone! I hope the New Year is treating you well!

Despite a few ups and downs that have already taken place in my life, I'm still feeling pretty pumped for this year. I've avoided setting myself any lofty aims. If there's one thing I've learnt over the years, it's that some things can't be planned for, and even with hard work and the best intentions, life isn't always going to go the way you want it to. I think it's both more positive and productive to have a loose idea of what you would like to achieve in terms of emotional fulfillment, rather than setting yourself a list of strict, specific goals. 

When we have lots of things to do, it can be very overwhelming getting started, especially if you suffer with anxiety. One thing that helps me is having an organiser!

This is mine! It's from Paperchase. This will be my second year using it, though for my 2016 refill I decided to graduate from plain white paper to this super cute floral design, which is a pleasure to see every time I have to write something on it. Writing things down helps me to organise my thoughts, and it means I don't forget or miss anything important. I know this sort of thing doesn't work for everyone, though, so you have to figure out what helps you stay on top of things and motivated. 

I got the idea of having a personal organiser from my time spent in education. Throughout school, we were given free homework diaries, which were essentially spiral bound organisers. I bought myself my own when I got to university, and found that they were useful for any life scenario, not just assignments and essay deadlines. Plus, generally speaking, nice stationery makes me weak at the knees. 

❤   ❤   

January, of course, means that it's time for egl's annual wardrobe theme. I love how active the comm becomes each time, even if it only lasts for a month. I find looking at other people's wardrobes both soothing and inspiring. 

It has been a very busy month for me thus far, so I haven't had much chance to look at other people's posts as much as I would like to. But today is Saturday. It's my day off. I have no social plans. Now is the perfect time for me to settle down with a cup of my favourite loose leaf tea and really give all the posts I've missed my full attention! 

I love this mug! It's another cute Paperchase item (as you can probably tell, I'm a longtime fan of that shop). Butterfly designs never fail to make me happy, plus it holds two cups of tea in it, which is most convenient. 

I'm always envious of people who are able to make their wardrobe posts so crisp and clear, with creative setups and gloriously perfect natural lighting. I've yet to make this happen for myself, but hopefully my own post is decent enough!


When I compare my wardrobe to other people's, I notice that it's pretty small! The thing is, I never feel particularly limited by it, and when I wasn't working full time, I still managed to be a daily lolita with my collection. I think the fact I've put so much focus on making it as cohesive as possible has meant that coordinating is very easy for me. Sure, you will have seen me in all my pieces many times before, but probably never coordinated in the same way! I'm very happy with my wardrobe, and I know my 16-year-old self would be mesmerised if she could see where I've ended up now!

Going forward, I would like to add more old school pieces into my wardrobe, as I think it's a style that suits me well, and the pieces are usually understated enough to be worn more or less anywhere. On the flip side to this, I would also like to buy some of the sweet prints that were in vogue when I was just getting into lolita-- all those mid to late noughties prints that almost seem old school in their own right given how much the fashion has changed since then. I would also like to get some new shoes, and stray away from sticking to those Bodyline tea party style shoes all the time. Overall, though, I'm pretty content, and it's a great feeling.

What do you do to get yourself motivated for the year ahead? Have you/will you make a wardrobe post? Do let me know in the comments! See you next time, and thanks for reading 

6 comments:

  1. Your closet is very cute, and I think your Holy Grail dress is really a special dress, I don't think I have ever seen it elsewhere than in your closet ^^

    I often made new years resolutions but I never really followed them, however this year I made a list with realistic goals and hang it up on my wall next to my laptop, where I can read it every day ^^

    I also keep a monthly calendar where I write down all appointments, and for daily tasks I always write To-do-lists, because otherwise I will forget the important things I have to do ^^'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dress is so beautiful and special to me that I never wear it more than once a year <3 I'd quite happily just put it on a dressform and display it rather than wear it.
      The very first time I'd ever seen it come up secondhand was in 2014, 2 years after it was released! I managed to quickly message the seller and pay before the other person who was interested in it XD

      That sounds like a good way of going about it! I expect a lot of people lose track of what their resolutions are, but if you're reminded of them everyday it must be more motivational ^_^

      I love a good to-do-list! It always makes me feel more focused and organised!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for another gorgeous post. I put up a picture of my squishy, little lolita fashion wardrobe onto my Instagram the other day. Living with little wardrobe space can be a downer but conversely another source of motivation not to buy too much.

    I love stationary too. I'm a big Sailor Moon fan and I was considering purchasing one of the schedule books to keep everything organised but I'm trying to save money for a trip so I think I'll just be getting a Collins Diary from the town newsagency. I did buy some just buy some new coloured pens after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am constantly having to rearrange my lolita storage, either by selling off anything I'm not 100% in love with, or coming up with new ways of hanging my items. It's quite the challenge, but like you said, it does prevent you from overindulging!

      Yeah, stationery can be pretty pricey, particularly if it's merch from a particular series or book etc, so I'm not surprised you're leaning towards something more budget friendly.
      I have a set of coloured pens, too! I like to tick each item off of my to-do-lists in a different colour XD

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed reading your blog as you have great style. You have a lot of pink clothes which are very cute and organised. I also like the butterfly mug. I'm glad you are being both positive and productive as that's the best way to help make your dreams become a reality. I found your blog inspiring and have started setting some of my own goals for 2016.

    Angella Frasier @ 4-Wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment! <3
      I'm really glad you like my blog :)

      Delete